Cremation is the process of preparing the body for final disposition that is as old as history itself, and as modern as today. Cremation need not replace the funeral traditions that have become so important to so many families. Cremation memorialization assures that you can preserve the comforting values of funeral traditions as well as provide a fitting tribute to honor a life that was well lived.
The means of final disposition is a personal choice, and one that should meet your needs and wishes. There is no right or wrong way when making cremation arrangements; only CHOSEN ways. Any options you select must meet your wishes and desires.
We hope that you will take all the time you need to consider the choices and options available to you, ask questions, and depend on your funeral service professional to assist you in any way possible.
To assist you, the major alternatives or options open to you are explained here. This is not intended to be a complete list, only a list of major alternatives for your personal consideration.
- Traditional Funeral and Visitation A family who wishes to have a visitation with the body present may do so, and elect to have cremation follow the traditional funeral service.
- Immediate Cremation with Memorial Service Families who wish to have the body cremated immediately may still select a memorial service. They may also elect to have to cremation memorial present if they desire.
- Private Service A service held for members of the family and invited guests only. This is appropriate for the traditional funeral or memorial service.
- Customized Service Your funeral service professional will assist you in arranging any service that meets your individual wishes and desires.
Options following Cremation
- Funeral Home Chapel, Cemetery Chapel, or Church A traditional funeral may be conducted in the funeral home, a chapel in a cemetery, or in the church of your choice. We are flexible and will assist you with your choice.
- Memorial Services A memorial service may be conducted in the funeral home, a chapel in a cemetery, a church, at the home of the deceased, a relative or friend’s home, or any other place you select.
- Service at the Graveside A memorial service may be held at the graveside, prior to interment or inurnment of the cremation memorial.
- Customized Service Today’s funeral services and cremation services are more customized and personalized than the past, and these services may be conducted in a place of the family’s choice. We will be happy to assist you in arranging and creating the service of your choice.
Other Options Available
- Burial of the Cremation Memorial A cremation memorial may be buried in a grave space in a family plot, or at the foot of an occupied grave (with cemetery permission), or in a spot specifically chosen for the cremation memorial is available for burial of the cremation memorial in the ground.
- Placement in a Niche, Mausoleum, and/or Columbarium Most cemeteries offer placement of the cremation memorial in a niche, mausoleum, or columbarium, or a combination of all of them. They are generally above ground receptacles with brass, marble, or glass fronts. Your funeral service professional will be able to advise you as to what is available in your areas.
- Urn Garden An urn garden is a special area in a cemetery designated for the burial of cremation memorials only. A marker of some type is generally used to distinguish each plot.
- Preparation of a "Remembering Place" This is generally an area that the family selects and designates as a final place of remembrance after the cremated remains have been scattered. It provides a place for this and future generations to return to for honoring the deceased. It can take any form that the family desires.
- Scattering Garden An area in a cemetery where cremated remains may be scattered in a garden setting. Sometimes a large memorial is available where individual plaques may be placed in remembrance of those scattered there.
- Cremation Memorial may be taken home A family may elect to take the cremation memorial home and maintain it there. This is entirely a personal decision, and one that should be given careful consideration before a decision is made. Too often a memorial urn can be lost or misplaces during a move, or sometimes even stolen or broken.
- Scattering The cremated remains may be scattered. We will guide you through the requirements in your area.
To accommodate increasing requests from family members, we offer several special cremation caskets to allow for visitation and a traditional funeral without the purchase of a traditional casket.
Also, an increasing number of families are requesting a special cremation memorial for use at a memorial service. Memorial services may be conducted with the cremation memorial present. Many families are also including mementos and other items that help make the service more customized and personalized.
Many families request to privately view the deceased prior to cremation being performed.
Alternative Cremation Options
Each Cremation Option includes: Funeral Director & Staff and 24 hr availability for guidance, questions, and concerns; assistance with social security notification & benefit assistance, insurance notification for benefits & claims, application for VA benefits, pension & employer notification; recording vital statistics, securing permits and doctor’s signature for the death certificate as well as filing the certificate in the appropriate city or county; writing and submitting newspaper notices online guest book, laminated bookmarks for the immediate family, monthly grief support group lead by a licensed grief professional and/or ½ hour consultation with our local attorney, a memory tree, included in our cremation options pricing is our general overhead which includes but is not exclusive to: general liability insurance, taxes including local, state, and federal; compliance with state and federal licensing and regulations.
*additions may be ordered through us & may be necessary: sales tax, newspapers, cremation process, permit, death certificates, urn, etc.
- Final Time Cremation Package Private time for family to say goodbye and identify before cremation occurs. Includes 1 hour of private viewing at the funeral home during the day, embalming, dressing, and other preparation of remains, includes bathing, shaving, cosmetics, hairdressing and final clothing details, transfer of remains to funeral home, transportation to and from crematory, Poplar cremation combination casket.
- Memorial Visitation/Celebration of Life Service Package Afternoon/evening time to reminisce with friends followed by service the next day. 24 hour availability for transportation from place of death, care of remains, transportation to and from crematory, particle board/cardboard container for cremation with an added time of remembrance in honor of your loved one. Includes use of facilities, staff & equipment with the use of our home and respite lounge for traditional visitation hours in our barrier free facility including a large well lighted parking lot. Includes person (s) to direct and assist all visitors, complimentary coffee and soft drinks and unlimited access to the kitchen and lounge area; a children’s program may also be available, photo memory board use, music selections, guest sign in book, personalized service folders and thank you cards. The memorial service the following day includes general use of facilities along with the maintenance of facilities and grounds, proper staff for assisting and seating your family and visitors, complimentary honorary pallbearer pins if desired, ceremonial candle lighting and single balloon release if requested and an audio tape of the service if at the funeral home. Conducted at funeral home or service conducted at another facility.
- Base Cremation /Memorial Service Package Services with remembrance and guidance. Includes the simple cremation and guidance services with an added time of remembrance in honor of your loved one: 24 hour availability for transportation from place of death, care of remains, particle board - option of container, transportation to and from crematory, use of our barrier free facility, staff and equipment, respite lounge for an hour prior to the service with complimentary coffee and soft drinks, general maintenance of facilities and grounds and utilities, proper staff for assisting and seating your family and visitors, complimentary honorary pallbearer pins if desired, ceremonial candle lighting and single balloon release if requested and an audio tape of the service if at the funeral home, photo memory board use, music selections, guest sign in book, personalized service folders and thank you cards. Conducted at funeral home or service conducted at another facility.
- Base Cremation Package Guidance and instruction without a tribute. 24 hour availability for transportation from place of death, care of remains, particle board - option of container, transportation to and from crematory. Meeting with a Funeral Director for disposition of the deceased with all parties required for lawful final disposition.